Saturday, October 20, 2018
Home > Editor's Pick > One million people require relief assistance

One million people require relief assistance

The Principal Secretary Devolution, Charles Sunkuli while closing a workshop  for  13 County Commissioners, National Drought Management Authority officials and officials from World Food Programme in Kikambala on Tuesday October 9, 2018. Photo by KNA.

The  National government will use the Chakula Kwa Jamii initiative to provide assistance to one million Kenyans affected by disaster and food insecurity .

The Principal Secretary for the State Department for Devolution, Charles  Sunkuli said the initiative that was piloted during the drought last year has shown effectiveness in reaching out to people in distress.

He said the use of the M-pesa platform to reach out to people in distress is easy to account for the use of huge public resources that are involved, adding that Sh.2- billion was spent to reach out 1.6- million people who were about to starve during the drought.

Sunkuli made the remarks on Tuesday while closing a two days’ workshop for County Commissioners, National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) officials and officials from World Food Programme (WFP) in Kikambala.

The participants met to be appraised on the system and challenges faced during the implementation, the crucial roles played by various stakeholders and the lessons learnt.

“As government, we are seeking resources that will be channeled to those one million Kenyans in distress for various reasons using the Chakula kwa Jamii initiative that was applied in the past”, he said.

He said the government made a saving on the huge costs that could have been incurred in relief food distribution logistics.

The  13 county commissioners present were drawn from arid and semi-arid regions severely affected by the drought last year.

By  Harrison  Yeri

Leave a Reply