The family of Former Internal Security Minister, Julius Sunkuli has dismissed earlier report by police that their son, late Augustine Salaton was killed in an accident.
Speaking during the burial of the late Salaton, at their home in Kilgoris, Transmara West Sub-County, the family members and a section of politicians said preliminary post mortem report proves, that the deceased was hit at the back of his head with a blunt object and later subjected to a lot of torture before he met his death.
Andrew Sunkuli, an uncle to the deceased said the postmortem was carried out by a government pathologist in the presence of the family doctors, who confirmed the earlier police report was vague.
“The report we got from the police is contrary to the post mortem report. This makes us suspect our son was murdered and the police collaborated with the criminals to hide evidence,” he told thousands of mourners who had gathered to bury their son.
He said the family will pursue justice from the relevant government departments, to ensure the culprits are brought to book and punished accordingly.
The Principal Secretary Environment, Charles Sunkuli, also an uncle to the deceased asked the County Commissioner to beef up security in the area to protect all residents.
“I have personally talked with Interior Cabinet Secretary, Dr. Fred Matiang’i, and has promised me proper investigations will be carried out to unveil the cause of death of our son,” he said.
The Narok Senator, Ledama Ole Kina put a Sh. 100, 000 bounty to any resident who gives information that will lead to the arrest of the culprits, alleging the killers should have been spotted by the locals.
The Narok County Women Representative, Soipan Tuya lamented on the increasing cases of insecurity in the area and challenged the police to take their administrative role of ensuring the safety of all the residents.
“The idea of removing the body from one mortuary to another without alerting the residents for identification is questionable. The police are custodians of the security of residents, but we are not seeing this,” he said.
Others who spoke in the burial ceremony included, KANU party Secretary General, Nick Salat, Emurua Dikirr, MP, Johanna Ngeno and Tiaty MP, William Kamket.
The 29-year-old, Salaton, who until his death worked with the Chinese Construction Company at Suswa area, as an interpreter, died in unclear circumstances on May 8, but his body recovered on May 18 at Kisii Hospital mortuary.
The police had earlier said that the young man was involved in a road accident at Kilgoris Town, but were forced to move his body to Kisii hospital as Kilgoris hospital lacked the capacity to store the body.
By Ann Salaton