Thursday, September 19, 2019
Home > Counties > Busia > Traders counting losses in demolition

Traders counting losses in demolition

A  section of small scale businessmen in Busia town are counting losses after Busia County askaris demolished their business kiosks on Thursday night.

Francis Opondo, one of the affected traders told the press that they had been issued with notices by the County Government early last year but they were told to stay put by the Deputy County Commissioner (DCC).

“We are surprised at what has happened this morning because the County government had even issued us with trade licenses hence authorising our operations,” he said.

Opondo blamed the unfortunate incident on lack of coordination between both the County and National governments.

“A few of us who left their wares in the kiosks last evening have encountered losses,” he said urging the County government to relocate them to another place so that they can continue with their business operations.

He at the same time, urged the County government not to collect revenue from the traders by allowing them to construct kiosks and later demolish them.

A woman who was affected by the incident urged the leadership to unite and come to their aid.

The clearing exercise is aimed at paving way for the expansion of the main road accessing the town.

The  Busia  DCC, Fredrick  Ayieko however, said that the operation was purely a County Government initiative with the aim of planning the town.

“As a National Government Officer, I cannot interfere with the plans of the County government,” he said, adding that the exercise is simply meant to pave way for proper planning and improved security.

By  Lameck  Brian/Salome Alwanda

Leave a Reply