23 people including three children in Aroriet village in Bomet County were last Tuesday admitted at Kapkatet Sub County Hospital in Kericho with suspected food poisoning after they took traditional sour milk known as Mursik.
They were all rushed to the hospital on Tuesday morning after they reportedly complained of severe stomach ache and diahorrea.
According to the medical superintendent Dr Gilbert Cheruiyot the patients were all brought to the health facility in serious condition and immediately they were put on medication.
Dr Cheruiyot told the press the sour milk the patients took the previous evening could have been contaminated.
The milk is suspected to have been sold to unsuspecting customers from a milk kiosk in the village.
He said that the patients who included three children were now out of danger but they are on treatment.
Dr. Cheruiyot said that they are carrying out investigations on samples of the fermented milk they collected to ascertain the actual cause of the problem.
This is not the first time for a whole village to be brought to Kapkatet as a similar incident happened last year when a milk tanker rolled in Cheborge in Kericho and area residents rushed to siphon the spilling milk only for scores of residents to be rushed to hospital the following day complaining of diahorrea and stomach ache.
By Dominic Cheres