Saturday, October 24, 2020
Home > Counties > Cousins Electrocuted in Freak Accident

Cousins Electrocuted in Freak Accident

Tragedy struck a family in Nyagicii village, Gikondi Division of Mukurwe-ini Sub County in Nyeri when two cousins were electrocuted as they were hanging their wet cloth on a line that apparently had contact with live power cable..

According to eye witnesses the two who are in classes five and form 2 at Nguura primary school and Iruri secondary school respectively, had just finished washing their school uniforms when the older one identified as Stephen Gichuhi was electrocuted as he hung the clothes on a line that was apparently in contact with a live wire.

The younger sibling tried to rescue his older relative but was also electrocuted. Both died on the spot.

Their grandmother Mrs. Nduta Gichuhi escaped death narrowly after she tried to save the boys on being alerted by one of the victim’s friend who had visited the home.

Nduta was rushed to Mukurwei-ini hospital, treated of shock and discharged hours later in the afternoon.

The Mukurwe-ini MP Anthony Githiaka Kiai and area Chief Maingi Muturi who condoled with the family, accused the contractor hired by Rural Electrification Authority for doing shoddy work wondering why he left the main power cable touching the house’s iron sheets that in turn electrified the cloth line.

The two also accused the contractor of fixing the transformer and powering it last evening without ensuring that electric wiring in the targeted homes had been perfectly done.

“This matter will not end up here. The lives of the two innocent boys have needlessly been lost. We will ensure justice is served to the family,” promised Kiai.

Kiai directed the Kenya Power company to undertake an audit of all homes served by the newly installed transformer to prevent recurrence of a similar accident.

By Kamiri Munyaka

Leave a Reply