The dysentery outbreak that hit Ng’iya Girls National School early this week has been contained, Siaya county director of health Dr. Kennedy Orwenjo has said.
Dr. Orwenjo said that his officers, working closely with the school administration, had managed to ensure that normal operations resume at the school situated in Alego/ Usonga constituency.
Speaking to the media, the medic said samples from the students that had been taken for culturing in the government laboratory had tested positive for bacillary dysentery.
He said that medical personnel were still camping at the school to give health education talks to the students and the preventive measures that they need to take to avoid a similar outbreak in future.
Dr. Orwenjo assured parents and guardians that the situation had been controlled.
On Tuesday, close to 200 students from Ng’iya Girls national school were rushed to various health facilities in Siaya after a suspected dysentery outbreak hit the institution.
The county health department and school sources said that the students started exhibiting the signs when several of them started complaining of stomach ache and acute diarrhoea.
By Philip Onyango