The government has been called upon to apprehend and prosecute the contractor whose reckless power installation allegedly led to the death of two cousins at Nyagicii village, Gikondi location in Mukurwe-ini Sub County a week ago.
Both religious and political leaders wondered why the government was dilly dallying in prosecuting the errant contractor or his workers accused of illegally dropping an electric cable into a house that had no meter box and worse still leaving the naked cable touching the iron sheets.
The leaders who included Gikondi MCA Mary Wamuyu Wamui, Mukurweini MP Anthony Kiai and PCEA clergyman Rev. Godfrey Jomo were speaking at Kiamurathe grounds during an emotional funeral service for the two attended by hundreds of mourners.
The pair both named Stephen Gichuhi after their grandfather met their death on coming into contact with a live wire as they hung school uniform to dry that black Sunday morning in readiness for classes the following Monday.
Their grandmother Mrs. Nduta Gichuhi also escaped death narrowly after she went to save the boys on being alerted by one of the victim’s friend who had visited the home. Nduta was rushed to Mukurwei-ini hospital, treated and discharged hours later in the afternoon.
She was however readmitted at the same facility late last week after the injuries she sustained worsened and was discharged Monday evening. Yesterday she sat pensively during her grandchildren’s twin burial ceremony presided over by Gospel Outreach Church Pastor Rev. Peter Kariuki.
“The death of these two promising students was as a result of gross negligence. Was the contractor drunk? What was he thinking about? How could he or his subordinates drop the electric cable in a house that had not even a meter box,” wondered the MCA.
Wamuyu maintained that in order to serve justice to the grieving family, the contractor involved should be apprehended and also forced to compensate the family of the departed students.
Her sentiments were echoed by Revered Jomo who requested area MP Mr. Anthony Kiai who is also a lawyer to ensure that the needy Gichuhi’s family is provided with pro bono legal services as they pursue justice for the loss of their two children.
On his part, Kiai promised to ensure justice is done to the family and challenged standard eight and form four candidates at Nguura primary and Iruri secondary schools where the two attended classes to concentrate on their studies in order to perform well in the forthcoming national examinations as an honour to their departed colleagues.
Kiai at the same time revealed that soon Kenya Power personnel will inspect homes in the area to ensure that wiring had been done to the required standards to prevent a recurrence of a similar accident.
Last Sunday immediately after the incident, the legislator and area Chief Maingi Muturi rushed to the scene and accused the contractor hired by Rural Electrification Authority for doing a shoddy work wondering why he left the main power cable touching the house’s iron sheets that in turn electrified the cloth line.
The two also accused the contractor of fixing the transformer and powering it the previous evening without ensuring that wiring in the targeted homes had been perfectly done.
“This matter will not end here. The lives of the two innocent boys have needlessly been lost. We will ensure justice is served to the family,” promised Kiai.
By Kamiri Munyaka