Home > Counties > Busia > Two youths shot dead as police repel Busia station attack

Two youths shot dead as police repel Busia station attack

Police in Busia shot dead two youths while repelling a group that had stormed Busia Police Station in an attempt to demand the release of a suspect in custody.

Speaking to the press on Wednesday, Busia County Police Commander Ahamed Abdille said the two were part of a group of more than 200 rowdy youths who attacked the station on Tuesday.

“We regret the loss of life, but the youth should refrain from defending such characters,” said Abdille.

He explained that the group stormed the station while hurling stones at police officers and the facility, prompting officers to act to protect the armoury and other critical installations within the station.

Abdille added that some members of the crowd began looting from businesses in the town, targeting supermarkets and other premises before being repulsed by police.

“Some goons started looting from the business community and attempted to break into several supermarkets, but they were stopped by officers,” he said.

The police commander further revealed that the crowd vandalized property at the Kenya Medical Training College, Busia Campus, and a county government office along Burumba Road.

He reiterated that all arrested suspects would be processed and taken to court within 24 hours, warning residents against taking the law into their own hands.

“Busia is a key transit point to the East African region, and we handle sensitive cargo, including inflammable fuel destined for Uganda. We will not allow anyone to loot or destroy such property as it is our responsibility to protect life and property,” Abdille stated.

He urged the youth to follow lawful channels and use designated offices within police stations to resolve grievances.

The police boss also disclosed that the suspect at the centre of the unrest, Edwin Omondi, had been transferred to another police station for his safety and that of other detainees.

“The suspect will be presented in court, and the matter will proceed through the legal process,” he said.

Meanwhile, unrest continued for a second day as groups of youths, reportedly agitating for the suspect’s release, engaged police in running battles.

The situation forced traders to close businesses early as police used teargas to disperse the crowds.

Omondi is accused of malicious damage to a police vehicle in March this year before his arrest on May 19, 2026.

By Salome Alwanda

Leave a Reply