Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Home > Counties > Embu suppliers welcome e-procurement to curb cartels

Embu suppliers welcome e-procurement to curb cartels

Suppliers in Embu County have welcomed the rollout of the Electronic Government Procurement System (e-GPS), terming it a long-awaited reform that is set to restore fairness, transparency and competitiveness in government tendering.

They expressed optimism that the digital system will also aid in dismantling entrenched cartels in the public tendering process, thus creating a level playing field for all suppliers.

Speaking on Monday during a training session organised by the State Department for Public Investment and Assets Management in partnership with the Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KNCCI) that was held at the University of Embu, suppliers complained that under the manual procurement, government tenders have been a preserve of a “class of a few well-connected individuals.”

“Tendering processes used to be compromised, as available opportunities were reserved for suppliers who have good connections with procurement officials, essentially locking out the majority of players in the trade,” said supplier and Chair of the KNCCI Embu Branch Mugo Mate.

He said under the manual system, many credible suppliers were sidelined for years despite meeting all legal and professional requirements, as a few “tenderpreneurs” leveraging on their political connections dominated public contracting.

He went on to allege that some individuals had registered multiple companies to increase their chances of winning tenders, effectively locking out other qualified bidders.

According to him, the e-GPS platform that has fully digitised the entire procurement process will aid in sealing these loopholes and enhance transparency and fair play.

His sentiments were echoed by contractor Alex Murithi, who alleged that some contracts had previously been awarded without proper advertisement, denying many suppliers a fair opportunity to compete.

Murithi said the new system offers renewed hope, adding that transparent online advertisement and application processes will allow suppliers across the county to participate in government business without discrimination.

Ruth John, representing persons living with disabilities, complained that the constitutional requirement that 30 per cent of all government tenders be reserved for enterprises owned by youth, women, and persons with disabilities (PWDs) had not been fully adhered to.

She called on both the national and county governments to ensure that the reserved quota is strictly observed under the new electronic procurement framework so that marginalised groups can meaningfully benefit.

Wilfred Siakama from the National Treasury assured suppliers that the government meant well with the introduction of the new system in order to enhance accountability, curb corruption, and promote openness in public spending.

He reported that over 35,000 suppliers had already registered on the platform nationwide, signalling growing confidence in the system.

Siakama encouraged suppliers in Embu to enrol in large numbers, saying the digital transition marks a new era of integrity and equal opportunity for all in government procurement.

By Samuel Waititu

Leave a Reply