At least 6,733 candidates who sat last year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examinations (KCSE) in Murang’a County attained grade C+ and above, qualifying for university entry.
According to analysis done by the county department of education, out of a total candidature of 31,766, 119 students scored grade A, while 414 attained A-, 676 got B+, 1,124 obtained B, 1,739 achieved B- and 2,661 posted C+.
County Director of Education (CDE) Phillip Wambua on Tuesday told KNA that the county recorded a mean score of 4.24, slightly lower than the 4.34 posted in 2024.
Despite the marginal dip, Wambua noted that several schools registered improved performance, citing Murang’a High School, Mugoiri Girls High School, Kangema Boys High School and Kahuhia Girls High School among institutions that posted notable gains.
The CDE added that Murang’a High School attained a mean score of 10.12, placing the school fifth nationally, a performance he attributed to improved teaching strategies and sustained learner support.
However, Wambua disclosed that 22 learners from Karega Day Secondary School in Kigumo Sub-County did not receive their results due to examination irregularities.
The school had 215 candidates and, despite the cancellations, still managed a mean score of 7.1, maintaining its reputation for strong performance in recent years.
He further highlighted the commendable performance posted by several day schools, including St Paul’s Gathukiini Boys Secondary School, Muthithi Mixed Secondary School, Bishop Gatimu Secondary School in Kinyona and Ndugamano Mixed Secondary School.
Nationally, Wambua noted, 1,180 candidates had their results cancelled after being implicated in examination irregularities, an increase from 840 the previous year.
Meanwhile, the CDE noted that some days schools within the county are grappling with low student enrolment, which has led to the closure of two secondary schools.
He revealed that Mweru Day Secondary School in Kiharu and Wahundura Secondary School in Mathioya have been shut after failing to have a population of at least 10 learners.
Wambua said teachers from the affected schools have been redeployed, while school property will be handed over to nearby primary schools, noting that the institutions were established on land belonging to primary schools.
Other schools struggling to enrol Form One students include Mathare Ini Secondary School in Kigumo and Yamugwe Secondary School in Kiharu.
He added that six schools in Kigumo and seven in Kahuro Sub-county have registered low enrolment and are under monitoring for possible mergers.
Wambua said the Ministry of Education is working with stakeholders to address enrolment gaps while sustaining academic gains across the county.
By Bernard Munyao
