Monday, September 28, 2020
Home > Counties > Makueni > A 630 KV transformer will be installed at Makindu Level 4 hospital

A 630 KV transformer will be installed at Makindu Level 4 hospital

The national government will install a 630 KV transformer at the Makindu Level 4 Hospital by the end of August to power an X-ray machine that has been lying unutilised for the last three years, Makueni County Commissioner (CC) Mr. Maalim Mohammed has said.
Mohammed made the remarks on Thursday when he led the County Development Implementation Coordination Committee (CDICC) to tour the health facility to establish the state of the equipment given under the Managed Equipment Services (MES).
The construction works of the building where the transformer is to be installed currently stands at 90 percent complete and will also be completed by the end of the month.
“We will ensure the transformer is installed as promised since this is the assurance we have from the Kenya Power. As soon as the premises is complete, the X-ray will be running and residents will be able to get services at the facility,” said Mohammed.
During the tour, Medical Superintendent Dr. David Kasanga disclosed that the Austrian government is renovating the maternity and infant wing and equipping the same at a cost of over Sh 200 million.
Dr. Kasanga further said that already two containers containing assorted equipment and furniture have been delivered to the health facility only waiting the completion of renovation before they are put in place.
“At least 15% of the funds will be used for renovation while the remaining 85% will be spent on assorted equipment and furniture that will be put at the maternity and infant wing,” said Dr. Kasanga.
Dr. Kasanga called for the upgrading of the health facility to level 5 due to the high number of patients and emergencies that they attend to.
Makindu Level 4 is the only hospital located along the highway that receives the highest number of causalities who require specialised treatment and attention.
“If the hospital is upgraded to a level 5 hospital an intensive care unit will be put in place besides other specialised medical services that will enable the health facility to offer treatment to patients,” he said.
He also disclosed that an emerging trend of drugging was putting pressure on the already over stretched facility but noted that the elevation of the hospital will help cater for such services and emergencies.
“In every month, at least two patients are drugged inside buses plying the Nairobi –Mombasa route and most of them brought while in a comma. Recently we lost one of the patients due to lack of specialised equipment,” said Dr. Kasanga.
During the tour, patients commended the medical superintendent and the entire staff for the cleanness of the health facility.
By Patrick Nyakundi

Leave a Reply