Saturday, January 22, 2022
Home > Counties > Busia >  Busia County Finance Office Arson Suspects Released.

 Busia County Finance Office Arson Suspects Released.

Two suspects who are alleged to have set ablaze Busia county Finance office last week have been released on a bond of shs. 500,000 each by a Busia court.

The bond was handed after Principal Magistrate Samson Temu dismissed the request by the prosecution to deny the duo bond terms.

In his ruling Magistrate Temu ordered that Paul Onono Okoth and Evans Wangata be released on bond of shs. 500,000 each with a surety of the similar amount.

“The accused can be released on a bond of shs. 500,000 with surety of similar amount,” he said adding that they should deposit their passports in court if any.

He further ruled that the duo should not set foot at the County Government offices especially near their offices where the offence took place.

“If they have to set foot into these offices, it should be specifically to report if they are required by the County government,” he said adding that the accused persons are still employees of the County government until proved guilty.

The magistrate further emphasized that the accused persons shall never transact any business on behalf of the County Government of Busia until the case is heard and determined.

“The accused persons to surrender themselves to the office of the DCI when required to do so without fail,” he ordered adding that the two should comply with the conditions being imposed for public interest.

Magistrate Temu also ruled that the duo should not contact any witness directly or indirectly once statements are supplied to them warning that their bond terms will be cancelled if the failed to abide by the conditions given by the court.

The two appeared in court on Friday last week but pleaded not guilty to the charges of arsonry but they were held in custody after the prosecution pleaded that their bond terms be deferred pending the hearing and determination of their case.

The prosecution through Mureithi Gacharia cited likelihood of the duo to interfere with evidence, witnesses and gravity of the matter as compelling reasons for denial of bond terms.

But Magistrate Temu in his ruling on Wednesday dismissed the prayers as mere speculations arguing that no evidence had been tabled as proof.

The case is scheduled for October 15, 2019 and January 23, 2020 for a mention and a further hearing respectively.

 By Rael Nakhone and Salome Alwanda

 

 

 

Leave a Reply