Monday, November 30, 2020
Home > covid 19 > Coronavirus, Nakuru receives 20,000 pieces of personal protection equipment

Coronavirus, Nakuru receives 20,000 pieces of personal protection equipment

The Nakuru County Public Health Chief Officer, Samuel King’ori, takes Journalists on Sunday March 16, 2020 from various media houses through training on Covid 19, detection, surveillance and reporting. Photo by KNA.

Nakuru  County  has received over 20,000 pieces of personal protection equipment as part of the preparations to handle coronavirus.

The  Public Health Chief Officer, Samuel King’ori  said the consignment, included N95 respirators and surgical masks that will be used by healthcare givers for surveillance and managing outbreaks.

Earlier  this month, the County purchased 100 sets of personal protection equipment to handle the virus also known as Covid- 19.

“We have adequate supply of oxygen from Nakuru County Referral Hospital (formerly PGH), oxygen plant, more than 130 thermo-gun thermometers, drips and other basic equipment to handle any case of Covid-19 in the County,” he added.

He further clarified that there was no confirmed case of the disease at the hospital and that laboratory analysis of samples taken from a foreigner from Europe who had exhibited symptoms related to the virus had not been concluded.

On Sunday, the County Executive Committee (CEC) Member for Health, Dr. Zachary Gichuki announced that the foreigner had been put under medical observation at the hospital.

The CEC further stated that the patient had contact with a person infected with the virus. He is said to have travelled to Kenya through the Netherlands.

“The Patient is in stable condition. We want to assure the public that there is no confirmed case of Covid-19 infection in the County.

Four specialists at the isolation wing will be monitoring the patient for the next fourteen days,” said King’ori.

He said the Hospital, third largest in the country after Kenyatta and Moi Teaching and Referral Hospitals has put in place adequate measures in case of any emergency, adding that 233 health workers from both public and private hospitals have been trained on Covid-19 surveillance.

Meanwhile, a team of Journalists is undergoing training at the hospital on reporting and sensitizing the public on the virus.

“By training journalists, we will be able to convince members of the public not to circulate false and misleading information. Members of the public are encouraged not to panic and adhere to safety measures as outlined by the World Health Organization,” added the Chief Public Health Officer.

At  the same time, members of the public continued thronging social places such as parks, markets and the Central Business District despite a public health directive discouraging gatherings.

At  the Nakuru Lions Garden, the Main Market and Bus termini business went on uninterrupted with most members of the public indicating that they had no option but to carry on with their livelihoods.

Very  few matatus had sanitizers while most supermarket outlets and hardware stores had adhered to the requirement.

Elsewhere, the  National Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya (CIPK) on Monday lauded the national government for putting in place elaborate measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Council urged Kenyans to support the government in her efforts to control further spread of the deadly disease in which so far three cases have been confirmed in the country.

The  CIPK National Organising Secretary, Sheikh Mohamed Khalifa said it was of utmost importance for Kenyans to strictly observe basic hand hygiene.

Speaking to Kenya News Agency at CIPK offices in Mombasa Sheikh Khalifa also asked Kenyans to avoid handshaking, take individual responsibility and follow guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health.

On Sunday, President Kenyatta announced a number of measures to combat the spread of the Coronavirus which included suspension of learning in all education institutions with immediate effect.

Other measures included suspending travel for all persons coming into Kenya from any country with reported coronavirus cases and clarified that only Kenyan citizens and any foreigners with valid residence permits will be allowed to come in but must proceed on self-quarantine or to a government designated quarantine facility.

In  Mombasa, the county and national governments have taken preventive measures against the spread of the virus that included closure of public beaches and recreational parks.

The CIPK National Organising Secretary, Sheikh Mohamed Khalifa said the tourist resort city was vulnerable to the viral disease outbreak owing to various points of entry including the port of Mombasa.

By  Anne  Mwale/Mohamed Hassan

Leave a Reply