Mukaa Boys High School has been closed indefinitely after a dormitory was razed down on Saturday following student unrest.
Sub-county Director of Education, Beatrice Makau, confirmed that more than 1,260 students were sent home Monday morning to pave way for investigations on the arson attack that saw property of unknown value destroyed.
Some 12 students have so far been arrested over their alleged involvement in the torching of the dormitory that houses over 200 students.
Makau said the decision to have the students sent packing will allow the school management to defuse the growing tension, investigate the matter and conduct repairs on the dormitory.
“It was also meant to allow the administration to deal with general indiscipline issues among students,’’ she said.
According to the County Police Commander, Joseph Ole Naipeyan, the students went on rampage on Saturday at around 6.00 pm and torched the dormitory, adding that a second attempt to burn the same facility was again foiled on Sunday around 6.30pm.
‘‘In the first incident property of unknown value was destroyed after the fire gutted the first floor on the one storey building,” said Naipeyan.
By Roselyne Kavoo