Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Home > News > Shock after man presumed dead returns home

Shock after man presumed dead returns home

A family in Siaya was left reeling in shock after a relative they had presumed dead returned home as preparations to raise funds for his funeral were in top gear.

The residents of Gombe Komolo, in the outskirts of Siaya town, were left with confusion, as some members, who could not believe their eyes took off when the 30 year old returned home from Nairobi.

According to the returnee’s grandmother, Patricia Othieno, they began preparations for the burial after they received reports from some of their kinsmen in the city that a body of the “deceased”, identified only as Godwin aka Goddy, had been identified at the City Mortuary.

Mrs. Othieno said that his grandson had left the village 12 years ago and had never returned.

She said that they started doubting whether indeed the grandson died when a neighbour whose son also works in Nairobi told them that the reports could be untrue.

The grand mother said that they however, decided to go on with the arrangements and even set a date to raise funds to settle a mortuary bill that they had been informed had risen to Sh80,000/.

“We tasked the neighbour’s son to ensure he confirms that indeed Goddy was alive or had passed on” said Mrs Othieno while talking to the media in her home in North Alego location, Siaya adding that it was the man who, on confirming that her grandson was alive, mobilized other relatives based in the city to make arrangements to bring him back home.

When he arrived on Wednesday this week, relatives had converged ready for the funds drive, with those who had not got wind of the new development taking off, mistaking him for a ghost.

“I never expected to meet the person that we knew was dead. I almost collapsed with shock when l arrived for the fundraiser, only to see Goddy,” said a neighbour, Sarah Anyango.

Speaking to the media, Goddy said he was equally shocked to learn of his purported death.

“I was shocked to find a multitude in our home, planning for my funeral,” he said.

Gombe Komolo assistant chief, Felix Orwenyo, confirmed the incident and called on people who venture into urban areas to ensure that they stayed in touch with their kinsmen at home to avoid such incidents.
By Philip Onyango

Leave a Reply