Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Home > Universal Healthcare > West Pokot Governor flags drug consignment worthy Sh75 million

West Pokot Governor flags drug consignment worthy Sh75 million

By P, KNA

West Pokot Governor, Simon Kachapin, on Tuesday flagged off a Sh75 million consignment of essential medicines, the largest drug delivery the county has received since the current administration assumed office.

Speaking during the launch, Governor Kachapin said the delivery marked a major milestone in strengthening healthcare services across the county, attributing the achievement to improved efficiency and closer cooperation with the Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA).

“This consignment is a clear indication that our systems are working. We have strengthened our relationship with KEMSA and ensured that our obligations are met,” the Governor said.

He confirmed that the county has fully cleared all pending bills, including Sh65 million for the second quarter, allowing for the timely release of the third-quarter supplies.

Health and Sanitation CEC, Claire Parklea, said nearly all the medicines ordered had been delivered, ensuring health facilities remain well stocked. “We have received 99.9 per cent of the drugs ordered, which is a strong assurance that our facilities will not experience shortages,” she said.

Parklea urged health facility managers to take full responsibility for the proper storage, distribution, and use of the medicines, warning that the county will closely monitor supplies.

“These drugs must reach the intended facilities and be used for the benefit of our people,” she emphasised.

Governor Kachapin reiterated that healthcare remains a top priority for his administration, noting that 11 new dispensaries have been established in areas such as Akiriamit, Tartar, Soka, Kaplelach Koror, Opol, and Chongis.

He also highlighted ongoing expansion works at Chepareria, Sigor, Kabichbich, and Kacheliba sub-county hospitals.

Partnerships with the national government and non-governmental organisations have also played a key role in improving healthcare at the community level.

He cited Safaricom’s ongoing fistula screening exercise, noting that the condition commonly affects women.

To further improve service delivery, the Governor said the county has recently recruited more than 400 healthcare workers.

“We now have sufficient doctors and specialists, and I want to assure our residents that they can confidently seek services in our public health facilities,” he said.

He issued a warning against the misuse of county drugs, saying strict action would be taken against anyone found diverting or misappropriating medical supplies.

“These are public resources, and they must be protected and used strictly for the benefit of the people,” he cautioned.

To enhance accountability, the county government will deploy inspection teams to confirm that health facilities across West Pokot are adequately stocked and that the medicines are being used as intended.

Residents of West Pokot have also been urged to screen for cancer early enough, as it has turned up to be the leading killer disease especially if diagnosed at later stages, ahead of the world international cancer day on February 11 which will be hosted in the county.

Leave a Reply