Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Home > Counties > Baringo > Court grants DCI 14 days to probe wife’s murder

Court grants DCI 14 days to probe wife’s murder

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in Baringo has been granted permission by a Kabarnet court to detain a man suspected of murdering his wife for 14 days to facilitate completion of investigations.

CPL David Kipkoros, attached to the Baringo Central DCI Office, in a sworn affidavit, asked the court to allow the detention of Josphat Kangogo for two weeks to complete investigations into an alleged offence of murder contrary to Section 203 as read with Section 204 of the Penal Code.

Kipkoros told Principal Magistrate Caroline Ateya that preliminary investigations established that the suspect allegedly assaulted his wife on August 14 at their home in Turupkir Village, Morop Sub-location, under unclear circumstances.

The matter was reported at Kabarnet Police Station by Morop Sub-location Chief Silas Rutto, prompting police officers to visit the scene.

The officers found the lifeless body of a woman, later identified as Eunice Bosire, lying on her bed with visible injuries on her legs, back, and right hand.

The investigation officer said crime scene personnel processed the scene and recovered a wooden stick stained with blood, which was suspected to have been used in the commission of the alleged offence.

The stick was secured as an exhibit for further forensic examination.

Kipkoros told the court that the suspect was subsequently arrested and placed in police custody as investigations continued.

He said the deceased’s body had been moved to the Baringo County Referral Hospital Mortuary, where it was awaiting a post-mortem examination to establish the exact cause of death.

The DCI asked the court to allow the suspect to be detained at Kabarnet Police Station and directed to provide a Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) sample for forensic analysis and comparison with blood stains recovered from the wooden stick.

The officer also requested that the suspect undergo a mental assessment at Baringo County Referral Hospital.

Kipkoros said investigators required more time to complete the probe because some crucial witnesses were yet to be traced and recorded.

He added that the post-mortem examination was yet to be conducted and that, upon completion of investigations, the file would be forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) for perusal and advice.

The DCI argued that the additional time was necessary to enable investigators to conclude the outstanding forensic and witness-related procedures before making a decision on the matter.

Ruling on the application dated August 17, Principal Magistrate Ateya found the application merited and allowed it as prayed.

The suspect will therefore remain in custody for 14 days as investigators pursue the outstanding inquiries.

The case will be mentioned on August 31.

By Dennis Lesoite and Joshua Kibet

Leave a Reply