Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Home > Editor Picks > Ebunangwe TVET set to admit students in September

Ebunangwe TVET set to admit students in September

Vihiga Governor Wilber Ottichilo has reaffirmed his commitment to operationalising Ebunangwe Technical and Vocational College (TVET), saying the institution will be ready to admit students for the September 2026 intake.

Ottichilo chaired a stakeholder engagement meeting at the college on Monday, August 17, 2026, to assess its preparedness and agree on measures required to make the institution fully operational.

The governor said the meeting followed an earlier engagement with a delegation from Ebunangwe TVC at the County Headquarters on Friday, August 14, 2026.

He said the operationalisation of the institution was an initiative he had championed since serving as the area Member of Parliament for Emuhaya and remained committed to seeing it succeed.

“Today, I chaired a stakeholder engagement meeting at Ebunangwe Technical and Vocational College to assess the institution’s preparedness to commence operations in September 2026 and agree on the measures required to make it fully operational,” said Ottichilo.

The governor acknowledged that the college had made significant progress but noted that several challenges remained to be addressed before students report.

“While the institution has achieved several milestones, a number of challenges still need to be addressed. I have committed to work with the relevant stakeholders to ensure these outstanding issues are addressed,” he said.

Ottichilo said the immediate priority was to ensure the institution was adequately prepared to receive and serve students and provide young people in Vihiga with opportunities to acquire technical and vocational skills.

He commended Emuhaya MP Omboko Milemba, North East Bunyore MCA Aineah Hellam Esipirah, and Sigalagala National Polytechnic, which serves as the college’s mentor institution, for their support towards the operationalisation process.

Milemba described Ebunangwe TVET as a long-overdue dream for the people of North East Bunyore, Emuhaya, and the wider Bunyore community, saying its operationalisation would improve security, create business opportunities, and expand access to technical and vocational training.

“Ebunangwe TVET is a long-overdue dream for the people of North East Bunyore, Emuhaya, and the larger Bunyore community. The operationalization of this institution means improved security and business opportunities and opening up the region through technical and vocational training,” said Milemba.

The MP said significant progress had been made ahead of the September intake, noting that the Ministry of Education had already posted a principal, deputy principal, and four trainers to the institution.

He said one of the trainers had reported, while the remaining three were expected to report soon.

“As we prepare for the September intake, I am glad that significant progress has been made. The Ministry of Education has already posted a Principal, a Deputy Principal, and four trainers, with one already having reported as we await the remaining three,” said Milemba.

Milemba said the National Government, through the Constituency Development Fund (CDF), had continued supporting the institution to facilitate its operationalisation and prepare it to enroll students.

He said construction of a 340-bed-capacity students’ hostel was also ongoing and promised to engage Housing Principal Secretary Charles Hinga to expedite completion of the facility.

“Through the CDF, we have continued to support this institution to ensure it is fully operational and ready to enroll students. The institution also benefits from the ongoing construction of a 340-bed capacity students’ hostel, which we will be engaging Housing PS Charles Hinga to ensure the project is expedited,” he said.

The college’s operationalisation is expected to expand access to technical and vocational education in Vihiga while equipping young people with skills relevant to employment, entrepreneurship, and local economic development.

Stakeholders said the institution would also contribute to the growth of businesses and services in the surrounding areas once it becomes fully operational.

The meeting was attended by North East Bunyore MCA Aineah Hellam, County Executive Committee Member for Education Ann Desma, CECM for Finance Meshack Mulongo, Governor’s Political Adviser James Otari, officials from the National Government Administration Office, Assistant County Commissioner, Sigalagala National Polytechnic Principal Evans Bosire and other stakeholders.

By Florence Oteng’o and Yvonne Misango 

Leave a Reply