Residents in Nasiada village in Bumula constituency have been thrown into mourning after a 16-year-old girl was electrocuted when a tree that she and her brother were cutting fell on an electric pole.
Tabitha Auma was helping her brother to cut down a tree close to the main Kenya power lines, when one of the tree branches accidentally fell on the wires, electrocuting her in the process.
Confirming the incident, the Head teacher of Nasianda Primary School, Bernard Wesebebe said the Monday morning tragedy was a big loss, as Auma was one of the bright pupils in the school.
He asked residents to contact Kenya Power officials whenever they needed to cut trees near electric cables, so that they could be assisted.
The police took the body of the deceased to Bungoma Referral Hospital Mortuary for preservation.
By Roseland Lumwamu