Thursday, April 15, 2021
Home > covid 19 > Kericho governor launches fumigation in high risk areas

Kericho governor launches fumigation in high risk areas

Kericho County has suspended water disconnection and ordered for the re-connection of the already disconnected residents and clients in a bid to increase water supply to aid in the curbing of the spread of covid-19 disease in the county.

“On going disconnection of water supply networks across the county as a result of non-payment of water bills by clients is hereby suspended with immediate effect,” the Kericho governor, Paul Chepkwony said on  Saturday.

To further boost hand washing in the county, the County has also fast tracked the setting up of 132 hand washing spots across the county, mainly at bus stages.

Speaking when he launched the fumigation exercise to be conducted across the county especially in high risk areas like bus stages, markets, shopping areas and residential areas, governor Chepkwony said that the county had earmarked Sh.280 million for emergency purposes in hospitals in Kericho County and to be used to purchase corona virus prevention medical kits, like ventilators.

He said the moves were aimed at boosting the instructions given by the national government including maintaining high levels of hygiene and encouraging people to maintain social distancing, while washing their hands with soap and water so that the virus is contained and managed.

Governor Chepkwony urged Kericho residents to ensure that they heed to and carefully follow the instructions given by the Ministry of Health and the national government at large in maintaining high hygiene, keeping the one meter social distance, staying at home and desisting from any unwarranted travel. He also called on the church faithful and pastors to continue offering prayers to Kericho and the country to plead to God to take away the disease.

Kericho County has not registered any covid-19 patient since the first case was reported in the country.

Speaking  at the same function, the Kericho County Commissioner (CC), Moses Mbaruku asked resident to ensure that they followed the instructions given out by the Health Minister and the government in a bid to curb the spread of the disease. He said that police were out there to ensure that the residents follow and heed to the curfew instructions but they could not police everybody hence the need for personal responsibility.

He  said that bars had been closed but regretted that some unscrupulous individuals had resorted to undisclosed illicit brewing dens, saying that those found would be arrested and prosecuted.

The  CC  also warned matatus operators against flouting the rules in the industry, noting that some PSV vehicles after leaving bus stages went ahead to pick more passengers.

He  said drivers found contravening the given travel regulation regarding the number of passengers ferried would be arrested and respective transport Saccos licenses revoked, maintaining  that only 8 passengers were allowed per Nissan matatus.

Mbaruku reiterated that the national government and the County government were working hand in hand in a bid to ensure that covid-19 disease did not find its way into Kericho.

By  Dominic Cheres

Leave a Reply