Chandera primary school pupils in Molo are lucky to have escaped death by a whisker when a pit latrine with ten partitions collapsed last Thursday.
Area residents say that the 11pm incident shocked many following a loud bang but were unable to visit the site due to the heavy rains at the time of the incident.
However, Joseph Mwangi who managed to arrive at the scene said that the block had caved in but he could not establish the exact damage caused.
Mwangi said in the company of other parents, they rushed there in the early morning hours before the children arrived at the school and found that the collapsed pit latrine was the one the boys used.
Since the occurrence of incident, parents are a worried lot that the incident might affect the smooth running of studies in the school especially to the candidates and thus called for a speedy intervention into the matter.
The area chief John Nderitu who termed the incident as unfortunate assured the parents of continuous learning given that the school has enough latrines to accommodate those affected and thus would not be shut down.
He pointed out that the remaining latrines would be assessed to ensure that the structures were safe for use.
The school board of management, Ministry of Education officials together with local administrators held a meeting concerning this matter but they could not be reached for a comment.
By Emily Kadzo