Three families in Ndhiwa Sub-county were left homeless after a fire razed their houses at Ongen’g Trading Center, Konyango Sub-Location in Homabay.
Property of unknown value was destroyed during the night inferno that spread to the three household after it reportedly broke out in one the quarters at around 8:30 pm.
Assistant Chief, Konyango Sub-Location, Gabriel Nyatame, said that the three houses were razed down and nothing was salvaged during the incident.
“I was informed at around 8:30pm that a certain house had caught fire when I rushed to the scene only to find that the fire had engulfed almost everything,” he said.
He further said that the fire started at the house of one, Beatrice Okello, when her children lit a jiko to prepare an evening meal before it accidentally caught the curtain and spread to the rest of the house while their parents were away.
The fire later spread to others houses after it overwhelmed the children.
He, however, confirmed that nobody died or sustained injuries during the incident because members of the public and bodaboda riders from Ongeng’ Trading Center had rushed to the scene to rescue the children who were trapped inside their house.
Beatrice, the most affected by the incident, said that she had gone out to hustle when she was called and informed that her house was on fire.
“All of my household items, including furniture, clothes, beddings, and utensils among others have been destroyed,” she said, adding that her kids have missed attending school because their uniforms and books were burnt down in the inferno.
The 41-year-old woman said that she was forced to spend the night outside in the cold with her ten children after their house was completely destroyed.
Beatrice requested well-wishers to come forth and help her where possible as she has no means of feeding her children and giving them shelter.
By Sitna Omar