Monday, August 10, 2020
Home > Business & Finance > Port to be complete by December

Port to be complete by December

The  construction of the multi-billion Naivasha Dry Port off the Mai Mahiu-Narok road is on course with the project expected to be complete by end of December this year.

This  came as the national government started resettling the families affected by the project sitting on 1,000 acres Kedong ranch land.

The  Naivasha Deputy County Commissioner (DCC), Mathioya Mbogo said the road linking the port to the nearby Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) was nearly complete and that the fencing of the 1,000 acres was also complete with electricity having been connected.

Mathioya  added that hundreds of local youths were already employed and working at the Inland Container Depot (ICD) which he said was expected to be ready by end of this year.

On  resettlement, the  DCC  said that about 2,000 persons had been affected by the project, adding that plans to resettle the families were undergoing with the first batch of 51 families which had willingly agreed to vacate the area being set to be resettled this week.

“This  is now government land and we have started the process of resettling all the affected persons so that this capital project can run smoothly,” he said.

This came as members of the Kitet-Sission community disowned the ongoing protests and demonstrations accusing a section of politicians from Narok and Kajiado as being behind the protests which they termed uncalled for.

According  to the community  secretary, Mike  Roka, all the families affected by the dry port had agreed to be resettled and those opposed to the decision were masqueraders.

Roka  said the community fully backed the ongoing projects and told politicians to keep off from the resettlement programme.

The  Community Chairman, Dopoi  Sarite said that the community went to court in 2003, after which Kedong management agreed to compensate them with 4,000 acres.

By  Esther Mwangi/Brian Kamau

Leave a Reply