Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Home > Counties > Why Governor Chepkwony believes in women leadership 

Why Governor Chepkwony believes in women leadership 

Kericho County is among the leading Counties in Kenya when it comes to affirmative action with representation of women in leadership positions and employment, more in number as compared to men.

According to Kericho Governor Prof. Paul Chepkwony, 65 per cent of all Kericho County government employees are women with the remaining 35 per cent being men.

Chepkwony who spoke on a live national television interview on Monday evening also revealed that one third of all tenders in Kericho County are allocated to women and youth. He therefore urged the youth and women in the County to capitalize on that opportunity reserved for them.

“I believe what a man can do, a woman can do even much better. Women give birth to men and so they are powerful and should not fear. They should come out and fight for opportunities and even senior positions in government,” said Chepkwony.

At the same time, the Kericho County boss urged his counterparts in other Counties to involve more women and youth in leadership positions and jobs opportunities as this will not only create equality but also result to significant transformative impact in the society.

“Women these days are very educated and have very great ideas that could transform this world. And this is evident in the good leadership currently in Tanzania. President Samia Suluhu Hassan is such an inspiration. So we have no option but to embrace and include women in leadership,” said Chepkwony.

Chepkwony on 25th March 2021 nominated Ms Lily Chepngetich Ngok as Deputy Governor to take over from the late Susan Kikwai, who succumbed to Covid-19.

In a statement, the Kericho Governor stated that he took into account the fact that the late Susan Kikwai hailed from Kipkelion East Sub-County and hence the nomination addressed continuity in the distribution of elective seats and gender balance.

The County Assembly of Kericho last week approved the nomination of Ms Ngok and she is expected to be sworn in as the new Deputy Governor of Kericho County.

By Kibe Mburu

Leave a Reply