Over 100 teenage girls in Narok County were rescued from FGM and early marriages, during the nine-month period the schools were closed to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Narok Red Cross project manager Hazael Biwott said they collaborated with the chiefs, security officers, girls rescue centers and religious organizations to free the girls from the illegal cut.
“I laud homes like Osutua Girls, Tasaru Rescue Center and House of Hope for coming together to save our girls from the illegal retrogressive cultural practice by providing an alternative home for them,” said Biwott.
He spoke in his office Thursday, where he asked the Maa community to take advantage of the free primary and subsidized secondary education programme to educate their girls instead of exposing them to the culture that compromises the standards of education.
“Our girls deserve to live a decent life that is free of reproach and undermining their potential of becoming great people in the society. We have to protect them from the illegal practice,” he reiterated.
He added that despite the girls being housed and assured of security in the rescue centers, volunteers from Red Cross offer them counseling and moral support following the trauma they could have undergone while being detached from their families.
In the month of December last year, tens of women were arraigned in Narok court where they were charged for being involved in FGM.
Those that allowed their premises to be used for the cut were also charged for not reporting the incident to the relevant authorities despite being in the knowledge of the act taking place.
At the same time, the Narok County Commissioner Evans Achoki had declared war on FGM saying the president has directed that the illegal cultural practice should end by the year 2022.
“If there is anyone still doing the practice underground tell them that we are coming for them. We are leaving nothing to chance because we want to finish the practice completely,” said Achoki.
By Ann Salaton/ Hannah Gichinga