Saturday, February 21, 2026
Home > Counties > Two killed after gold mine shaft collapses

Two killed after gold mine shaft collapses

Two people have been confirmed dead following the collapse of a gold mine shaft in Rodi Nyahera, Rachuonyo South Sub-County, Homa Bay County.

The victims, identified as John Muga, 62, and Bob Obonyo, 34, were trapped inside the shaft on Thursday while carrying out mining activities.

Kanyango Sub-location Assistant Chief Denish Owour said Muga died on the spot after the shaft caved in.

Rescue efforts managed to retrieve two other miners alive, who were rushed to Rachuonyo Level Four Hospital in Oyugis Town for treatment.

“Unfortunately, one of them, Bob Obonyo, succumbed to his injuries today while undergoing treatment,” said Owour.

The assistant chief confirmed that retrieval of Muga’s body had been completed, noting that he sustained head injuries during the collapse.

The body was later transferred to Rachuonyo Level Four Hospital mortuary as investigations into the incident continue.

By Moseti Julius

Leave a Reply