Home > Counties > Businessman Critically Injured In a Jolted Robbery

Businessman Critically Injured In a Jolted Robbery

Quick response by security officers saved the life of a businessman last night who had been accosted by armed robbers at his shop in Marsabit town’s Nyayo Road Estate

Marsabit Central Sub-County Security and Intelligence Committee Chairman, Mr Patrick Muriira, said the youthful trader sustained critical gunshot injuries after the attackers fired four rounds into his shop through the door after he reportedly refused to open.

Muriira who is the Deputy County Commissioner (DCC) Central, told KNA that the attackers said to have been four in number managed to escape, however, the police were following crucial leads that could help in the arrest of the suspects.

The DCC who was accompanied by the Sub-County Police Commander, Johnson Wachira, said that a spent cartridge collected at the scene indicated that the suspects were armed with an AK 47 assault rifle.

He said the Security Committee was concerned that street lights in Marsabit town have not been working for quite some time with investigations into the increased cases of insecurity in the town and its environs being linked to the lack of the proper lighting.

Muriira said security organs in the area were working closely with the Marsabit County Government for the restoration of the security lights, adding that criminals were taking advantage of the situation to cause mayhem against innocent residents.

A blackout which had thrown the town into darkness was on when the incident occurred prompting residents to call on the Kenya Power (KPLC.) to render effective service and end frequent blackouts.

According to the Marsabit County Referral Hospital Executive Officer Liban Waqo the victim had lost a lot of blood and water.

The trader who was shot twice in the stomach was immediately referred to Isiolo Teaching and Referral Hospital for surgical treatment.

An altercation between the police and members of the public ensued at the Nyayo Road area as the residents pressed for improved security taking the dispatched team hostage for several minutes.

Police had to fire several times in the air to ward-off the irate residents whose anger had been aggravated by the blackout which had hit about five minutes to the 7:50 pm incident.

By Sebastian Miriti

Leave a Reply