The cholera outbreak that claimed the lives of three people in Machakos County has been contained.
Speaking at Machakos Peoples’ Park Convention Centre, the County Executive Committee Member (CECM) for Health Dr Daniel Yumbya announced that no cholera case has been reported in the past one week.
“Since last week, we have not received any Cholera patients, and those who were admitted at the hospital are already discharged. I’m therefore lifting the two-week food hawking ban, I ask you to continue observing cleanliness and ensure that the food is well cooked,” said Yumbya.
Three weeks ago, the CECM had confirmed 11 cases in the county from Machakos GK Prison and School for the Deaf.
Yumbya also stated that the health workers in Machakos level 5 hospital and Kangundo level 4 hospital who had gone on a two-day strike are back to work.
“I’d like to announce that the health workers are back to work from Thursday night after the warning I gave them, they have all been paid and I urge them to give quality health care services to the patients,” said Yumbya.
The CECM had issued a stern warning to striking health workers three days ago to immediately resume work to avoid disruption of delivery of healthcare services.
The health workers had gone on strike last week due to delayed salaries which had been occasioned by irregular payroll entries which the County government is still working on.
By Caroline Mutheu