Monday, September 21, 2020
Home > Business & Finance > County on high alert to avert a possibility of Covid-19 spread

County on high alert to avert a possibility of Covid-19 spread

The  Department of Health in Narok County will start fumigating all market places and shopping centres in a bid to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.

The  Narok County Commissioner (CC), Samuel Kimiti said they were leaving nothing to chance bearing in mind the danger an outbreak of the disease could cause in the county.

Kimiti however, asked the traders to avoid going to the markets, saying they were negotiating with the chamber of commerce on how to help residents buy goods without interactions.

He confirmed having received 53 hand-washing tanks and 140 cartons of sanitizers from the National Government, which would be distributed to the slum areas in the county, prison and the most vulnerable groups in the county.

“We want to speak to chamber of commerce to strategise on ways our people will be getting market goods in specified locations comfortably without interacting with many other people,” said Kimiti.

He confirmed that no positive case of Covid 19 had been reported in the county though 43 people were under isolation.

Kimiti  who spoke on Monday after holding a county emergency and response committee in his office warned residents against spreading fake news through the social media platforms of the Corona virus saying this was causing tension among the residents.

“We have agreed that it is only the governor and I who are authorized to give information on this deadly virus in the county. Others who give information on social media or other platforms are liable to punishment,” said Kimiti.

He added that the security team would collaborate with the children’s department to see all the street children were returned to their respective counties.

“We  will start removing children from the streets to return them to their counties of origin. But those who are completely vulnerable will be placed in children homes,” said Kimiti.

He called on chiefs and Nyumba Kumi representatives to be alert to ensure the government directive of keeping social distances and washing hands was observed in their respective villages.

Kimiti warned bar owners who continued with their business behind the curtains that they risked being arrested.

On his part, the Narok County Executive Member in Charge of Health, Morgan Siloma said 50 beds had been set aside for isolation, 26 of which were at the Narok County Referral Hospital while the others were distributed in various health centers in the county.

At  the same time, Siloma confirmed that 300 staffs were trained on preparedness to fight the virus and would be distributed in the 30 wards in the county.

By  Ann  Salaton

Leave a Reply