Young people from poor background in Murang’a County will be given priority during recruitment of workers to participate in Kazi Mtaani programme.
Area County Commissioner (CC), Mohammed Barre said the exercise to recruit about 3000 youth in the county has kicked off and those highly impacted on by Covid-19 will be given priority.
He directed chiefs and other national government administrators to be fair in recruitment of young people who will be involved in the recently established Kazi Mtaani programme.
The government, Barre said is employing various measures to cushion Kenyans from negative effects of Covid-19 and natural disasters like landslides and floods.
He noted that in Murang’a, the youth will be involved in cleaning trading centres, planting of trees and rehabilitation of sections of roads destroyed by rains.
“In the county some families lost their houses due to rains and the youth will be involved in building shelters and also rehabilitating destroyed farms,” added the CC during a press conference in his office on Wednesday.
During the recent rains, several roads were destroyed paralyzing transport with the CC, saying Murang’a county will benefit a lot from the Sh. 5 billion the government has released to repair infrastructure.
He underscored the 8-point economic stimulus programme which were announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta saying the measures will go long way to cushion effects of covid-19.
“The youth who will be selected are asked to dedicate their energies in performing assigned jobs effectively. The young people will fully be involved in any menial work such as road repair and conservation of environment,” he added.
Last week, President Uhuru Kenyatta allocated Sh.10 billion to fast track National Hygiene Programme designed to engage over 200,000 youths countrywide, to assist improve their livelihood during Covid 19 epidemic.
On mitigation to keep the disease at bay, Barre flanked by County Police Commander, Josphat Kinyua said majority of the people in the county have complied with guidelines given by Ministry of Health to combat spread of coronavirus
Those who defy the regulations, he warned are put on a 14-day mandatory quarantine at their costs.“Stern measures employed by the government have helped to tame spread of the disease in many parts of the country,” said Barre.
Meanwhile, the CC has said well-wishers coming out to give less fortunate foods and nonfood items should do so through the county emergency committee.
He observed that some of people giving out foods to affected families are breaking some guidelines like ensuring people observe social distance.
“We appreciate well-wishers coming out to assist affected families but let them do so through the county emergency committee which has better structures to distribute the foods without breaking some of the guidelines,” he further said.
By Bernard Munyao