Doctors in Mombasa called off their strike Friday after successful negotiations with the County government.
The doctors called off the strike that started on December 2 last year after the county government addressed most of their key demands, including the reinstatement of 86 of their sacked colleagues for boycotting work.
Health services were grounded in the county towards the end of last year after doctors, nurses and medical officers went on strike.
The health workers demanded for promotion, comprehensive medical cover and reinstatement of striking doctors who were sacked by Governor Hassan Joho on January 6.
The medics also complained of salary delays and non-remittance of statutory deductions and lack of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The strike by the nurses and the medical officers is still going on which has paralyzed health services in all public health facilities, including the Mombasa Teaching and Referral Hospital.
The boycott has caused huge suffering to the residents and those from neighbouring counties who needed treatment for serious diseases such as coronavirus and cancer.
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Union (KMPDU) Coast Secretary Abidan Mwachi asked doctors to report to work immediately, saying the county has addressed most of the doctors’ demands.
“It has been a long journey but finally our negotiations have been fruitful, “said Mwachi who also apologised to the residents for the strike that paralysed the health sector.
Acting health executive Geoffrey Nato said the union and the county government have signed an agreement that addressed the demands of the health workers.
“We are happy for the fruitful discussions with KMPDU and at last we have seen white smoke,” said Nato who was accompanied by the county Chief of Staff, Joab Tumbo.
Tumbo said they have agreed on the return to work formula with the doctors and that normal services should resume at all healthcare facilities with immediate effect.
By Mohamed Hassan