Friday, April 3, 2020
Home > Counties > Busia > Give Kenyans a break, Raila tells Ruto

Give Kenyans a break, Raila tells Ruto

Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga has challenged Deputy President William Ruto to stop 2022 politics and instead concentrate on the country’s development.
Speaking during a boat racing and cultural festival at Marenga beach in Bunyala Sub County on Christmas Eve, Raila asked Ruto and his supporters to stop keeping the country in campaign mood forever.
“Political campaigns will not take Kenyans anywhere, what we want is a united country and that is what we will do throughout 2019,” he said.
Devolution Cabinet Secretary Eugene Wamalwa on his part said he was fully in support of the now famous March 9th ‘handshake’ between Raila and President Kenyatta adding that it had brought peace in the country.
Wamalwa added that there was need to amend the constitution with a view to iron out the 20% contentious area which Kenyans are not comfortable with.
“When the constitution was passed in 2010, we all agreed that 80% of its content was good,” he said adding that there was need to rectify the remaining 20% through a referendum.
He advised those who are opposed to the proposed referendum not to personalize the document adding that it is meant for the good of all Kenyans.
“The amendments envisaged in the referendum do not target particular individuals or creating more posts for others,” he said urging all Kenyans to focus on how to improve it.
The CS further challenged supporters of the Deputy President to declare their stand on the referendum instead of changing goal posts.
“How can you say that you support the referendum while in Kisumu and at the same time oppose it while in a different place,” he said referring to the DP’s remarks in Bungoma on Sunday.
Wamalwa at the same time said there was no greater legacy President Uhuru Kenyatta will leave apart from uniting Kenyans and fighting corruption.
Former Funyula MP Dr. Paul Otuoma and the current MP Wilberforce Mudenyo reiterated their support for the “handshake” adding that it had brought calm in the country.
Budalangi MP Raphael Wanjala challenged the DP to support the referendum arguing that he has always been against it.
By Salome Alwanda

Leave a Reply