Saturday, August 8, 2020
Home > Counties > Government releases Sh10 million for kazimtaani youth in Kisumu

Government releases Sh10 million for kazimtaani youth in Kisumu

The national government has paid out Sh10 million to youth engaged in civil work under the National Hygiene Initiative (kazimtaani) in Kisumu County.
The 2,300 youth enrolled under the program earned Sh653 each per day over the last one week where they were involved in cleaning up informal settlements in Kisumu City.
Interior Principal Administration Secretary Thuku Kang’ethe said the program in Kisumu was a success with good progress recorded in Obunga, Nyalenda A, Nyalenda B, Manyatta A and Manyatta B slums.
The program, rolled out by President Uhuru Kenyatta last month to cushion the youth who have been worst hit by measures instituted by the government to contain the spread of coronavirus, he said, has impacted positively on the youth amidst tough economic times.
Speaking in Kisumu on Friday during an inspection tour of the program, Kang’ethe said by keeping the youth engaged and with money in their pockets, cases of insecurity in the informal settlements have reduced tremendously.
The national government, he said, was in the process of enlisting more youth in Nyando and Nyakach sub-counties where floods have wreaked havoc and destroyed property, to cushion them against the loss.
The initiative which is being piloted in Kisumu, Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Kiambu, Kilifi, Kwale and Mandera counties, he said shall form the basis for scaling up the project.
“In phase two of the project we target to enroll over 200, 000 youth to be engaged in casual jobs to cushion them during this lockdown,” he said.
The enrollment, he said shall be done through the NyumbaKumi structures at the grassroots before they are vetted at sub-location and sub-county levels.
During the second phase, the national government, he said shall partner with the implementing counties to ensure that the youth are supplied with tools and Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs).
“When we started we asked them to come with their own tools but now we are going to supply them alongside PPEs to ensure that they undertake the duties in a secure manner,” he said.
Kisumu Deputy Governor Dr. Mathew Owili said the county government was exploring ways to sustain the program after the national government pulls out.
“This program by the national government has been of immense benefit to thousands of youth who were displaced and those who were working in bars, hotels and restaurants. Therefore we are looking for ways of making it sustainable to benefit more youth,” he said.
By Chris Mahandara

Leave a Reply