Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Home > Counties > Bungoma > Grade one pupil who died in a house fire laid to rest

Grade one pupil who died in a house fire laid to rest

A Bungoma DEB Primary School grade one pupil who died in a fire was laid to rest at their Mashambani home in Kanduyi Constituency.

Catherine Nafula Nyongesa was five years, 11 months and 7 days, 23 days shy of her sixth birthday.

Cate, the first born in a family of two was daughter to Mr and Mrs Paul Nyongesa.

According to her mother, Christine Nyongesa, her daughter left home in the morning to go and play with her friends just near their home.

When they (parents) came back in the evening, she was still at her friend’s place playing.

They then asked her to come over but as was her norm, she requested to spend the night at her friend’s.

Mrs Nyongesa stated that at around 9 pm, the room in which the late Catherine was staying for the night caught fire.

The fire quickly spread to the ceiling, which collapsed when Cate was in deep sleep.

Douglas Situma a neighbour, who was an eye-witness, said that efforts to save Catherine from the fire were futile as the flames were raging wildly.

“By the time we managed to put out the fire, Cate had already passed on with her body burnt beyond recognition.

Mrs Nyongesa eulogised her daughter, “Cate mummy, you were not just a daughter to me but a friend, a secret keeper, a confidant, a fashionista and my prayer item.”

The area MCA Anthony Lusenaka, condoled the family, “No parent should ever wish to go through the torment the Nyongesas family are undergoing,” Lusenaka said.

Until her demise on April 7, 2023, Cate was a grade one pupil at Bungoma DEB Primary School.

Her class teacher, Madam Tabitha Oguda said Cate was an active pupil in class.

By Roseland Lumwamu


Leave a Reply