Home > Counties > Igembe North launches mass ID registration drive for youths

Igembe North launches mass ID registration drive for youths

The government has launched a mass national identity card registration and distribution exercise in Igembe North Sub-county targeting more than 1,000 youths to enhance access to identification documents and government services.

Speaking to the press at his office in Laare on Thursday, area Deputy County Commissioner Martin Muhia said the exercise has already commenced and will be rolled out across several locations within the sub-county over the next two months.

Muhia said the programme seeks to ensure that youths and other residents without identity cards, including those who lost their IDs, are registered and issued with the crucial document.

“We have started the registration exercise targeting over 1,000 youths so that they can help themselves and access opportunities that require identification documents,” said the DCC.

He noted that previous registration efforts had been hindered by a shortage of materials, limiting the number of people who could be served.

“We could not register as many youths before due to lack of materials, but currently we have enough materials to sustain the exercise,” he added.

The programme has been sponsored by Zoe Organisation, a non-profit organisation known for supporting community empowerment initiatives.

Muhia further revealed that more than 2,000 processed identity cards have already been received at the sub-county registry and distributed to chiefs for easier collection at local administration offices.

“We have handed the IDs to chiefs for smoother distribution in their respective offices. This will help curb the build-up of uncollected identity cards at the registry,” he said.

According to the administrator, the exercise will begin next week in Kirindara Location before proceeding to Linjoka and later Antuambui Location.

In Kirindara, residents are expected to gather at the chief’s camp for the mass registration and ID distribution exercise.

Muhia urged all residents without identity cards or those who lost the documents to take advantage of the exercise, saying the programme is expected to run for two months across the sub-county.

By Kamanja Maeria

Leave a Reply