Monday, August 10, 2020
Home > covid 19 > Kenya records highest number of Covid 19 cases

Kenya records highest number of Covid 19 cases

Kenya has today recorded the highest number of COVID 19 Cases after 307 people tested positive for the Virus.

The number which was from 3,591 samples tested in the last 24 hours brings now the total number of confirmed cases to 6,673 and cumulatively the government has so far tested 173,355 samples.

Giving an update on Thursday on the Covid 19 situation in the country, the Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS), Dr. Rashid Aman said of the new cases 298 are Kenyan s while 18 are foreigners.

“Out of the 307 cases, 215 were male and 92 are female. The youngest is a 1-year-old while the oldest is 81 years of age”, he added.

The cases , the CAS said are distributed in the counties with Nairobi recording the highest number at 154 followed by Mombasa 38, Machakos, 33, Kiambu 20, Narok 20, Kajiado 14, Busia 10, Kericho 4, Makueni and Nakuru 5 cases each, Kilifi, Kisumu, Kitui and Uasin Gishu one (1) case each.

The distribution of the cases by sub counties is Nairobi’s 154 cases are in Dagoretti North (34), Kibra (22), Embakasi Central and Langata (18) cases each, Starehe (17), Westlands (14), Embakasi South (10), Embakasi West (7), Kamukunji (5), Dagoretti South, Makadara and Mathare (2) cases each, Embakasi Central, Roysambu and Ruaraka, one (1) case each.

In Mombasa, the cases are in; Mvita (22), Likoni (10), Changamwe (5), and Nyali, (1). In Machakos, the cases are in Athi River (32), and Yatta one (1). In Kiambu, the cases are in, Ruiru (4), Kiambu Town (6), Kabete and Thika, 3 cases each, Kiambaa (2), Juja and Lari one (1) case. All the 20 cases in Narok are from Narok North.

In Kajiado, the cases are in Kajiado Central (7), Kajiado North (5), and Kajiado East (2). In Busia, the cases are in Teso North (6) and Matayos (4). In Kericho the (4) cases are in Ainamoi. In Makueni, the (5) cases are in Kibwezi East, and in Nakuru the (5) cases are from Naivasha (3), Nakuru East and Nakuru West one (1) case each. In Kilifi the one (1) case is in Kilifi North while in Kisumu the one (1) case is in Kisumu Central, in Kitui the case is in Kitui Central and in Uasin Gishu the case is in Turbo.

Dr. Rashid noted that today the government has also discharged 50 patients from various hospitals, bringing to 2,089 the total number of recoveries but has also lost one more patient to the disease bringing to 149 our fatality in the country.

The  CAS  appealed to everyone to take personal responsibility in the fight against Coronavirus disease saying that the huge numbers that the country is recording can only be halted if we co-operate with the government and strictly adhering to the containment measures advised.

On  the issue of opening up of the economy, Dr. Rashid said there is need to exercise caution especially now with the prevailing situation of COVID 19 infection in the country

“Majority of Kenyans have been discussing the possibility of Government opening the economy. This discussion is unavoidable”, but said that individual responsibility and ramping up of preparedness are key interventions that must be at the top most of our response list

Counties he noted that have been given a target of 300 bed isolation capacity by the President must work towards achieving this requirement.

“These are weighty matters that must dominate our discussions, to aid the government in coming up with balanced measures on the way forward”, Dr. Rashid said noting that several developed countries namely USA, Australia, South Korea and Germany are experiencing major spikes in COVID-19 infections, after opening up their economies and hurriedly closing down again.

“We must strike a balance in terms of how we would like to see our country move forward, and avoid running the risk of experiencing an upsurge of cases. It is better to be safe than sorry”.

To reemphasize his point, Dr. Rashid shared a story of one concerned Kenyan residing in Ruaka on Limuru road who went to his office to report how residents of that area are flouting measures and guidelines set by the government to combat the spread of the Corona virus specifically on public transportation.

The  Ag. Director General at the Ministry, Dr. Patrick Amoth said that currently there are 186 health care workers who have tested positive of Covid 19 and out of these 102 females and 84 male positivity rate of ratio 2.8 percent but no one has been lost.

On home based care, he noted that there is a strict criteria that is set to ensure one does not pose any danger and so as we go forward the number of home based care will increase but in a judicial and cautious manner

“Currently there have been 600 people on home based care and 120 have been discharged . We also have not lost any one who was on home based care”, Dr. Amoth said

The  Ag. DG  confirmed that some of the challenges of the home based care is that it only applies to the middle class and upper middle class people , its labour intensive and requires somebody and health care givers to visit and take their temperatures and also brings about delayed reporting if one is to get data from counties, noting however, that they are confident that the home based care will put off since it has been used before during the HIV pandemic.

By  Wangari Ndirangu

Leave a Reply