Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Home > Counties > One dies as fire razes 50 homes in Athi River

One dies as fire razes 50 homes in Athi River

One person died when fire razed 50 houses in a suspected gas cylinder explosion at Kwa Ndeti village at Athi River in Mavoko.

The fire that has rendered over 100 people homeless, occurred early in the morning when the deceased, who came home after a night shift at Simba cement, went  to sleep without putting out the gas burner causing a huge explosion which spread to neighboring houses.

Several sources confirmed that the fire started from the deceased’s iron-sheet house in the morning as he slept.

Athi River Deputy County Commissioner Mr. Patrick Mwangi who was present at the scene confirmed that the investigations showed that the fire started at around 11am.

The DCC said that police recovered two 6kg gas cylinders from the scene that is believed to have caused the fire since the body was found at the same place.

He also confirmed that even though no one else was harmed since all were at work and children in school, 50 houses were destroyed leaving over 100 people homeless, devastated and in dire need.

“It is an unfortunate accident that the fire occurred and destroyed all the tin houses in this village, they are also lucky since no one else was harmed and the children were in school while other tenants were at work,” said Mwangi.

Mwangi added that they are looking for ways to help the people who have lost everything from beddings, clothes, food and their little savings.

“We urge well-wishers to come out and offer help to the people who have lost everything in this fire as we wait for county officers and the government to intervene,” added the DCC.

Machakos County Chief of Staff Mr. Lawrence Ngovi said that the County sent its fire brigade to help in stopping the fire from spreading further.

“As a county, we have come to help where we can. The fire brigade has helped already and several lorries brought water to stop the fire,” said Ngovi.

Ngovi urged all well-wishers to send their help in the form of food and clothing to the DCC’s office so that they can distribute them to the victims.

“We will work with the National Government through the County Commissioner’s office to offer support to the affected families,” added Ngovi.

He also implored the neighbors to offer the families and especially the children a place to sleep for the night as they find other solutions to help the people of Kwa Ndeti village in Mavoko.

Raphael Ndeti who lives at Kwa Ndeti village and had his house razed said he has lost everything in the fire. He said he was at work and his children in school when he got the call that fire was gutting their houses.

He said he is devastated since he has children and he does not know where to take them after they come from school because all their clothes, beddings and food went up in smoke in the fire.

Ndeti said the deceased neighbor came from a night shift at the cement company and slept while making tea using the gas burner that caused the explosion.

By Anne Kangero

Leave a Reply