Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Home > Business & Finance > Over 60,000 screened for Covid-19 in Turkana

Over 60,000 screened for Covid-19 in Turkana

More  than 60, 000 in Turkana County have so far been screened for Covid-19 in Turkana County.

During  the County Covid- 19 Emergency Response Team meeting held at Ekaales Centre on Monday, the County Director of Medical Services, Dr. Gilchrist Lokoel said 62,243 people have been screened as at Sunday evening and four people are being monitored.

“We are monitoring four people among them one nun in Lokitaung, two people in Lodwar and one in Kalokol,” said Lokoel. However, he said no Covid-19 positive case has been reported in the County.

The screening is being conducted at all the airstrips, Kainuk border point with West Pokot and other border entry points.

The County Commissioner (CC), Muthama Wambua who is the Co-chair to the Committee underscored the need for preventive measures.

Wambua said social distancing, handwashing with soap and avoiding handshakes are key to preventing the spread of the pandemic.

Meanwhile, the County Health Department has budgeted Sh.30 million to combat the pandemic, subject to approval of the County Assembly and the Cabinet.

Dr. Lokoel said there are 57 beds at the Lodwar County Referral Hospital and Sh. 7.1 million earmarked for completion of the Intensive care unit.

An additional Sh. 2.5 million has also been allocated for the Kanamkemer Isolation Ward and each of the Sub-County Hospitals has been allocated Sh. 0.5 million to combat Covid-19.

To effectively address the pandemic, the Committee established three Sub-committees among them Trade, Health and Security and enforcement.

At  the same time, the Turkana Central Deputy County Commissioner, Alexander Mativo, said the government has stopped the Cash-Transfers to avoid crowding.

“The Cash-Transfers remain suspended as we work on a formula that would address congestion,” said Mativo.

The Committee also resolved that all hotels would only be allowed to sell take- away food service.

The  County Police Commander, Samuel Ndanyi, emphasized that the curfew was still on and urged the residents to comply.

“We are not at war with the citizens, what we are doing is in the best interest of the public,” said Ndanyi.

By  Peter  Gitonga

Leave a Reply