A suspect linked to an arson attack that killed seven family members in Ngimari village, Embu East Sub-county in October last year was arraigned in court on Monday.
The suspect, Boaz Wanjala Iyati has been on the run until Friday, January 07, when he was arrested by detectives in Ebuchangu village in Kakamega County.
Wanjala who was brought before Runjenjes Senior Principal Magistrate Josphat Gichimu did not plead to the charges as detectives sought more time to conclude investigations as they seek to charge him with murder.
Investigating Officer Samuel Onyamasi asked to be granted seven days to hold the accused in custody to enable them record witness statements and have him subjected to mental assessment before formally being charged with murder.
He further told the court that the suspect will in the meantime assist them nab more suspects linked to the crime. The suspect is believed to be behind the attack that left seven members of the same family dead on the night of October 2.
The victims include Charles Njeru, 50, his wife Catherine Wanjiru, 46, their three children Judy Wanjiru, Mary Ann Murugi and Joel Njeru aged 23, 24 and 7 respectively as well as two grandchildren Tumaini Blessing, 5, and Prince Baraka, 3.
The suspect allegedly set on fire the wrong house while aiming to get back at his estranged wife after learning that she remarried after parting ways. He is said to have sent a message to her phone that she responded to and was shocked to learn that she did not die.
The suspect out of panic switched his phone off and went into hiding until he was smoked out by detectives. The matter will come for mention in court on January 16.
By Samuel Waititu