Friday, February 23, 2024
Home > Counties > Public beaches outlawed over coronavirus

Public beaches outlawed over coronavirus

Coast Regional Commissioner (RC) John Elung’ata has urged people to stay away from public beaches and avoid other crowded places as a precaution to getting the coronavirus (Covid-19) infection.

Kenya reported its first positive Covid-19 case despite previously investigating 23 alerts involving 31 suspected cases that have all tested negative.

Briefing the press in his office Saturday, Elung’ata said police will be carrying out routine patrols along the beaches and other tourist attraction sites to keep crowds at bay as coronavirus panic grips the nation.

He said there is no need to panic amid coronavirus scare but that safeguards must be taken in the wake of the global outbreak.

The Regional Commissioner urged tourist hotels in the coastal counties of Mombasa, Kwale, Kilifi and Lamu to check the temperature of all guests, visitors and staff when they enter the premises.

Last Friday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe confirmed the first coronavirus case Friday after a woman who came into the country from the USA through London tested positive to the Covid-19 virus. He said the patient is in a stable condition.

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness and dry cough. In some cases patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhoea.

Elsewhere, Kwale Govrnor Salim Mvurya said his administration has stepped up efforts to confront the novel coronavirus invasion of the coastal county.

Mvurya said isolation and treatment facilities have been established in Matuga, Msambweni, Kinango and Lunga Lunga sub counties.

He said rapid response teams have also been activated and are on standby to monitor and investigate cases in the county.

The governor said they have also a citizen hotline number for reporting any incidences of the virus at the center of a global pandemic on 0768078070.

In Tharaka-Nithi County Governor Muthomi Njuki said there is no need for panic, even as the residents continue to frequently wash their hands as advised by the Ministry of Health the county government has gone a step further to establish the quarantine centres.

“We look forward to a favourable containment of the virus in Nairobi but the county government has set aside wards to serve as quarantine centres in Chogoria, Marima and the Chuka Referral Hospital for any eventuality,” said the Governor.

Njuki who was presenting bursary cheques to the three wards in Chuka -Igambang’ombe constituency at Chuka Township primary school Friday further called on parents and teachers within the county to take the initiative of creating awareness among the school going children and the elderly over the need to avoid gatherings, shaking hands and frequently washing their hands.

Meanwhile, the Thika Level Five Hospital has established an isolation ward for attending to patients that contracted the deadly corona pandemic, Medical Superintended Dr. Jesse Ngugi has said.

The 10-bed capacity unit is expected to be opened on Monday after being fitted with the necessary equipment to handle patients.

Ngugi said they have received enough sanitizers, masks, gloves, drugs and equipment necessary to handle the disease

He added that six members of staff have been trained by the national government on how to handle the pandemic, with another 50 staff expected to be trained from Tuesday next week.

The staff will act as champions within the facility to teach fellow staff to arrest anxiety among staff and patients so that they can give the best health care.

“Two weeks ago, the President directed all Level Five hospitals to establish isolation units to handle corona pandemic in case it is reported in the country. We have got a ward that we have furnished with the necessary infrastructure to handle corona cases and expect to open it on Monday,” he said.

He said the ward can handle 40 patients and will increase capacity if necessary.

Siaya County is prepared to handle any case of Coronavirus, with an isolation facility being established at the Bondo sub county hospital, area county commissioner, Michael ole Tialal has said.

Tialal at the same time announced an immediate ban on all discos in the county as part of measures to contain the spread of the disease.

Briefing the media on the preparations by a joint emergency response committee that he co-chairs together with local governor, Cornel Rasanga, the county commissioner said that apart from the isolation ward, each of the health facilities in the area will establish holding rooms where suspected patients will be detained while awaiting transfer to the isolation ward in Bondo.

The county commissioner who called for calm amongst the residents, however stressed the need for strict adherence to the recommended measures to curb the spread of Coronavirus.

He announced a toll free number, 0800-721546 that the public can use should they want to report a Coronavirus case.

Kna Team

Leave a Reply