Security has been beefed up at clash-hit Olposimoru area in Narok North Sub County where four people were killed and tens others injured in a communal conflict.
Tension is however still high in the area as the conflicting parties armed themselves with illegal weapons like bows, arrows, spears and pangas held separate meetings where they spoke in low tones.
Narok County Commissioner (CC) Samuel Kimiti who visited the area under attack said a contingent of security officers drawn from the General Service Unit (GSU), Rapid Delivery Unit (RDU), Regular Police and the Kenya Forest Rangers had been deployed to calm the situation.
Kimiti noted one of the seriously injured people is a police officer who is battling for his life in Narok County Referral Hospital and several civilians nursing bullet and arrow shots.
The CC’s said trouble began after one person was killed, another seriously injured and 24 cows stolen when they were grazing in the forest land on Monday.
This caused a flare-up in the volatile land that borders Maasai Mau forest as two neighbouring communities occupying the land began to fight each other.
“We have banned any human activity in the forest land. Anyone found entering the forest will be considered a criminal, will be arrested and charged accordingly,” said Kimiti.
The CC confirmed that tens of houses had been burnt down asking those who were affected to record statements with the police to facilitate investigations.
“Avail testimonials to the police if you have lost anything, but if you take the law in your hands, you will be punished dearly,” he said.
Nothing can be resolved in hostilities, said the public administrator adding that though a crime had been committed, a solution will not be reached by fighting.
He reiterated his earlier warning to politicians telling them to keep off the area and avoid inciting residents for their own selfish interests.
“Politicians don’t suffer any loss in such times. You residents are the ones who suffer majorly as you lose your loved ones, your houses are burnt and crops destroyed,” continued Kimiti.
Olposimoru former Member of County Assembly Wilson Ole Masikonte called on the residents to stop fighting each other saying it was an uncivil way of resolving chaos.
“We should be doing something constructive now instead of battling each other. I call on my people to live in peace and seek better ways of resolving their conflicts,” said Ole Masikonte.
Robert Ole Silantoi lamented that the police officers were harassing the residents alleging that seven persons were nursing bullet shots.
“The seven were shot from behind while running for their dear lives. We want the police to respect us so that we can boost peace in this area,” said Ole Silantoi.
Richard Mitei said the large administrative areas were the cause of the on and off fracas and suggested that the disputants be separated with each side getting their own chief.
“We walk for over 14 kilometers to access services from the assistant chief who is a member of the other community. We want our own chief where we can report our issues easily,” added Mitei.
In the year 2018, the state imposed a 6am to 6pm curfew on the Olposimoru residents after prolonged clashes that saw tens of people dead.
The government deployed a contingent of security officers on the ground to ensure the curfew was implemented until calm was restored. Since then, the area has been peaceful.
By Ann Salaton