Friday, December 3, 2021
Home > Counties > Thika needs additional 15,000 M3 of water to end crisis

Thika needs additional 15,000 M3 of water to end crisis

Thika Water and Sewerage Company (THIWASCO) needs to produce an additional 15,000 cubic metres of water daily to end water rationing in Thika town and its environs.

THIWASCO Managing Director Moses Kinya revealed that the current water production capacity of 40,000 cubic metres is way below the current demand, given the increased population over the years.

He said through partnerships, the water company is in the process of upgrading the water production infrastructure and assets to undertake large scale water production.

The town depends on a 50-years old water supply design established when it was small and which has never undergone major upgrade over the years, thus finding itself overwhelmed.

“The demand of water in Thika and the neighbouring Weitethie and Landless Estates is huge given an upsurge in population occasioned by the many colleges, universities and industries in the areas. Therefore, we need to manage our water effectively through rationing,” he said.

He said they are also relying on the completion of the Kariminu II dam whose construction is ongoing in Gatundu North Sub-county and that they have already put up a water collection and treatment point near Maryhill Girls School.

The Sh24billion mega dam which is expected to be complete by mid next year is set to end water crisis in Thika, Juja, Ruiru Sub-counties as well as the Nairobi City.

It will produce 70,000 cubic metres of water daily, with 80 per cent of water being supplied to Thika, Ruiru and Juja Sub-counties, while the remaining 20 per cent will be distributed to Nairobi County.

Other temporary measures that THIWASCO has done to address water production gaps, include the drilling of five boreholes in the dry areas of Thika East Sub-county where residents complain of persistent water rationing.

The Company relies on water from Thika and Chania rivers which they purify before distributing to its clients.

By Muoki Charles

Leave a Reply