Monday, September 28, 2020
Home > Counties > Narok > 22 arrested in connection with conflicts in Narok South

22 arrested in connection with conflicts in Narok South

Twenty two people have been arrested in connection with the conflicts experienced in parts of Ololoiang’i, Oloriasi and Nkoben areas in Narok South Sub County.
Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya said among the arrested is Nkoben Assistant Chief Jacob Kioko who was caught assisting in transporting crude weapons to the battle zone.
“We realised that those fighting were gathered at Kapcol Camp where they were planning conflicts. When our officers invaded the camp, they found tens of bows and arrows, spears, pangas and knives that were to be used for war,” said Natembeya.
The County Security boss who spoke to journalists in his office Tuesday said those who suffered injuries will be forced to record statements in their hospital beds to explain what they knew about the clashes.
“We suspect that the injured were part of the chaos, they will be forced to record statement on what they know about the skirmishes. We expect them to give information that will help in ending conflicts in that region,” said Natembeya.
Among the people injured, Natembeya said is a Kenya Forest Service Officer (KFS) who sustained arrow shots and is currently admitted at Narok referral Hospital.
Earlier on, there were rumours on the ground that those evicted from the Maasai Mau Forest would be compensated but Natembeya was quick to state that no single individual evicted from the forest would be compensated.
The clashes that began over the weekend has seen a 25 year old man killed, 15 injured and tens of houses burnt in the inter community war.
The violence was triggered by the theft of one cow from one community who alleged that the other community was responsible for the loss.
“The 15 injured suffered arrow wounds and are receiving treatment at the Narok Referral hospital, while the man who died on Saturday night was shot with a short gun in the back and died on the spot,” said Natembeya.
However, Natembeya confirmed that peace was slowly returning to the area after a contingent of security officers drawn from Administration Police, Kenya Wildlife Service, Kenya Forest Service and Regular police was deployed in the area to restore calm.
The commissioner added that investigations had been launched to establish the source of firearm used to kill the young man.
The clashes had again been witnessed in the area in August 2018 after a body of a man from the Maasai Community was found dead two days after he had gone missing.
This triggered violence in the area causing the Kipsigis and Maasai communities to battle one another killing four and seriously injuring 10 people.
The violence left four people dead, 13 injured and over 60 houses razed down and over 10 schools in the three villages closed down.
Yet again, on September 16 2018 the security agencies led by Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Mongo Chimwaga held peace meetings between the two communities at Oloruasi Primary school grounds where elders from both communities held “handshakes” vowing to live peacefully only for a recurrence last Saturday.
By Ann Salaton

Leave a Reply