Thursday, August 20, 2026
Home > Crime > New dock workers leaders demand probe into alleged Sh82m embezzlement

New dock workers leaders demand probe into alleged Sh82m embezzlement

Newly elected officials of the Dock Workers Union of Kenya have called on the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) to fast-track investigations into the alleged embezzlement of Sh82 million belonging to the union.

The officials assumed office on August 13, 2026, following an election that had been delayed by protracted legal battles and attempts by former officials to stop the exercise. The court eventually allowed the elections to proceed.

The alleged loss of the union’s funds comes against the backdrop of prolonged internal leadership disputes that had threatened the stability of the 70-year-old union.

Newly elected General Secretary (GS) Abubakar Abdullahi said the alleged embezzlement involving one of the union’s accounts at Bandari DT SACCO occurred before the new officials assumed office and had already been reported to the relevant authorities.

Abdullahi assured the union’s members that the new leadership would leave no stone unturned in pursuing those responsible, recovering the funds and ensuring that the culprits face justice.

He said the union would also undertake a comprehensive audit of its accounts to establish the financial position of the organisation and determine whether there were other irregularities.

“We are planning to do an audit of the accounts. We have three accounts: Bandari, ABSA and Housing Finance. I am giving those instructions as GS; maybe by tomorrow we start auditing all the accounts to find what is in there and what is missing,” said Abdullahi.

He said preliminary findings indicated that funds in the Bandari SACCO account had been withdrawn, with loans amounting to nearly Sh80 million taken out without a clear explanation of how the money was utilised.

“In Bandari SACCO, we have found that all the money has been withdrawn. Some loans were taken out of almost Sh80M, and when we look at breakdowns, we don’t know how it was used. Those are things that are already with the police, and we will follow up. Whoever took the union’s funds must return,” he said.

Abdullahi said the audit would cover transactions conducted before the new officials took office, noting that Sh1 million was withdrawn only hours after the elections, shortly before the union submitted a list of new signatories.

He said the new leadership was unable to establish how the withdrawal was made since the official in question was no longer in office, leaving the matter to investigators.

“Signatories are the Chairman, GS and Treasurer. We don’t know the strategies he used, but we have left that work to DCI to take action. It is long overdue,” he said.

The GS   reiterated that the new leadership was determined to recover the Sh82 million and ensure that those found culpable were prosecuted and held accountable.

The officials have also pledged to hold a consultative meeting with members at the Port of Mombasa to gather their views on long-standing grievances affecting their welfare as they embark on their five-year term.

In the union’s recent elections, Abdullahi was overwhelmingly elected General Secretary after garnering 1,042 votes against his sole rival, Salim Kumaka, who secured 581 votes.

Gunda Kaneno won the National Chairman position with 825 votes against Hassan Shabura’s 774, while Abdalla Randani was elected National Vice Chairman after receiving 597 votes. He defeated Moris Mayega, who polled 409 votes, Shafi Ali with 404 votes and Amini Muasya with 179 votes.

Gideon Matiku was elected Assistant Secretary General after securing 1,079 votes against Rashid Mwagasare’s 497.

Idd Yusuf Mchangamwe was elected Treasurer, Naheel Hashil Assistant Treasurer, Nuru Awadh Gender Chairperson, Ramadhan Tadicha Male Young Worker and Joan Kiprop Female Young Worker, all unopposed.

By Sadik Hassan

Leave a Reply