A family of a 24 year old Technical training Institute student, killed through mob justice in Kaisagat village in Kwanza Sub County has appealed for speedy investigations into the incident.
Speaking to the press in Kitale Saturday, the deceased’s father Charles Nyainda Atima asked police to hold responsible the owner of the home who raised alarm accusing his slain son Ezra Aringa Nalundo of stealing.
The mob then descended on Nalundo, a former student at Cheptarit Technical Training Institute killing him instantly.
According to a police report, the deceased who was allegedly found stealing clothes and a handbag was lynched by a mob that was responding to a distress call from Kennedy Onsarigo, the owner of the home where the incident took place.
“Our fresh investigations reveal that the deceased who was married had told his wife on the eventful day that he was going to charge his mobile phone at a nearby market. However, he proceeded to someone’s home in Kaisagat village Kwanza sub-county where he was found stealing before being lynched,” Endebess OCPD Shadrack Rutto told KNA on phone Monday.
According to the OCPD, Onsarigo who is sickly had gone to visit his mother about 100 metres from his home last week when the incident occurred.
The reports further indicate that when Onsarigo came back, he found the door to his house partially opened and upon entering, he saw a man holding his wife’s clothes and hand bag, prompting him to raise alarm.
According to Rutto, the family only came to know about the death of their son after reporting to police at Endebbes police station about his disappearance.
“We processed the deceased as unknown African male adult killed by mob over theft,” he said.
The OCPD said that investigations had commenced as mobile conversations will also help police to uncover motive behind the killing.
Police reports also indicate that the parents to the deceased had reported that the deceased was in a relationship with the daughter of Onsarigo.
“We want to establish whether a girl said to be lover to the deceased was at home at the time of the incident or not. If she was, the case may take a different dimension. But if she was away then the theft allegation will stand,” he said.
He added that about 15 people including the area chief have recorded statements in connection with the incident. The family said they will not bury the deceased until they get justice after a postmortem showed that he was hit on the skull.
The body is at the Kitale Teaching and Referral hospital mortuary.
By Pauline Ikanda