Friday, May 24, 2024
Home > Counties > Family hospitalized after eating poisonous mushroom

Family hospitalized after eating poisonous mushroom

Seven children are recuperating at the Bahati Sub-county hospital in Nakuru County, after suffering from food poisoning from the mushrooms they ate for supper last night.

The seven, aged between one and 18 years, are said to have had a meal of wild mushrooms before complaining of stomachaches.

Sub County Medical Officer Lucy Kananu confirmed that the seven arrived at the hospital very weak while vomiting and with severe abdominal pains.

Kananu, added that the children were in a stable condition noted that the family from Haji in Subukia had taken the mushrooms as their only meal for the evening.

“It is always good to ascertain the type of mushrooms one is taking as there are some that are very poisonous,” noted Kananu adding that families in the Sub County were hunger stricken.

The children’s father Henry Kamau regretted that he was not able to afford them a meal and depended on what the children had gathered from the neighboring fields for their evening meal.

“We had a poor harvest last year and can now hardly afford a meal a day,” he said, pleading for help.

By Anne Sabuni

Leave a Reply