The Government has assured all citizens that their personal data captured during Huduma Namba registration will remain confidential.
The Interior and Coordination of National Government Cabinet Secretary (CS), Dr. Fred Matiang’i said all the necessary safeguards have been put in place to ensure the data remains private.
In a speech read on his behalf by the Principal Secretary for Broadcasting and Telecommunications (PS), Esther Koimett on Wednesday, the CS said the government has developed the Registration of Persons (National Integrated Identity Management System -NIIMS) Regulations 2020 to manage issues surrounding the NIIMS to ensure the privacy of citizens is not compromised.
Koimett read the speech in Embu during one of eight fora convened around the country to subject the regulations to public participation.
Dr. Matiang’i said now that the High Court had cleared the way for the Huduma Namba Program to continue, the government will announce new dates for the capture of citizens whose data was not collected during the mass registration campaign in March last year.
He added that about 38 million Kenyans registered during the first phase of the national exercise and urged those who were left out for various reasons to present themselves when new dates are announced.
The Government Spokesman, Col. (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna said registration for the number was important because besides providing the government with precise planning data it would also ease the management of a security by helping to screen out aliens.
By Steve Gatheru