Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Home > Counties > Government launches nationwide Covid-19 sensitization campaign

Government launches nationwide Covid-19 sensitization campaign

State Department for Broadcasting and Telecommunications Principal Secretary (PS), Esther Koimett, today, launched the Covid-19 sensitization campaign in the Country aimed at increasing awareness of the new developments in the spread of the virus.

Speaking at Uhuru Park grounds, Ms Koimett reiterated that there is need for the public to adhere to the government containment measures to stop the spread of the disease.

Principal Secretary (PS), Broadcast and Telecommunication, Esther Koimett, addresses the Media as she flags off the nationwide Covid-19 sensitization campaign at Uhuru Park grounds in Nairobi. Photo by Widen Ratemo

Last month, Health Ministry confirmed it had recorded five cases of the Indian Covid-19 variant in the East African region and as such the exercise flagged, will create more awareness on the need to remain vigilant in the wake of the new mutations.

The PS called on all Kenyans not to lower their guard but continue to wear their masks, keep the recommended 1.5 meters’ physical distance when in public places, keep on washing their hands regularly with soap and running water, and avoid crowded areas.

“This campaign, therefore, aims to sensitize our people on the importance of strictly observing the containment protocols in order to protect themselves and their loved ones,” said the PS.

The PS noted that the exercise will encourage the public to embrace the jab and go for the Covid-19 vaccination exercise at their respective counties.

She urged the teams involved in the sensitization campaign to ensure that the messages are well communicated for better understanding by all communities and where possible, to use vernacular languages.

The campaign which started today countrywide will end on June 27, 2021 across the counties, running from 8.00am, to 4.30pm.

County Information Officers are in collaboration with Regional and National Government Administrative officers (NGAOS), spearheading the campaigns in their respective regions.

A similar community awareness campaign on the pandemic was carried out in May 2020 in the initial eight high-risk counties of Migori, Siaya, Kisumu, Nairobi, Kajiado, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi.

The Ministry of Health’s Acting Director-General, Patrick Amoth, had told the media that those five cases involving Indian nationals had been imported into the country before the country banned flights to and from India.

“We picked this from a sample of Indian travelers who are doing some work in the western part of Kisumu. Health teams are doing contact tracing,” he said then.
“This variant has been picked in Kenya and because of connectivity, it was just a matter of time. You cannot put barriers to prevent a virus from accessing your territory,” Amoth added.

Total confirmed Covid-19 positive cases, yesterday, stood at 179,075 with a cumulative test so far conducted being 1,904,519. The fatality caseload as a result of the virus stands at 3,456.

By Catherine Muindi

Leave a Reply