The Government is working out a plan to have all food handlers tested for Covid-19 despite the challenge of availability of sufficient testing kits.
Kenyans have therefore been asked to be patient and cooperate but asked the management of the eateries to arrange for private testing of their staff, in consultation with the Ministry of Health.
Giving an update of the coronavirus situation in the country on Tuesday, the Health Chief Administration Secretary (CAS), Dr. Rashid Aman said a detailed protocol on these guidelines will be posted in the Ministry of Health website and will be shared through public media in the due course.
”Restaurants managements must read and understand these guidelines as the reopening is predicated on full compliance”, he said.
Dr. Rashid said that regarding the Covid-19 situation, a total of ten (10) patients were discharged today bringing to 124 the total number of recoveries which is a very encouraging development.
The latest Covid-19 situation, the CAS reported there have been eleven new cases out of the 589 samples tested in the last 24 hours.
”Our total number of Covid-19 disease positive cases now stands at 374. In today’s cases, there are two (2) children aged 3 years, and the oldest is 75,” he said
He added that out of the 11 cases, Seven are from Nairobi and four from Mombasa. Of the seven Nairobi cases, four cases are from Kawangware and one each from Eastleigh, Manji Estate and Kaloleni. All the four Mombasa cases are from Kibokoni (Old Town).
”We have enhanced contact tracing, surveillance and infection control management in Nairobi and Mombasa counties because of increased local transmission in these two counties”, he said
Cumulatively, Dr. Rashid said the age group of 30 to 59 continue to carry the burden of this disease in the population and account for 224 cases (60 percent) of the 374 total cases.
”When you add to the 99 cases of the age group 15 to 29 that comes to 323 cases from our most active segment. We encourage these groups to rededicate their energies in observing the containment effort,” he said.
Yesterday, Government issued initial guidelines for partial reopening of eateries and restaurants in line with the directives issued by President Uhuru Kenyatta
Following the announcement on Monday, there had been a lot of hue and cry over the measures by restaurant owners and also some Kenyans regarding the matter.
By Wangari Ndirangu