The Baringo Governor, Stanley Kiptis has unveiled a coronavirus isolation in centre in the county and at the same time closed operations of most county departments.
Speaking on Wednesday at Kaptimbor Dispensary in Kabarnet Town, Kiptis said that the move was an indication of his administration’s preparedness about the new pandemic.
The isolation centre is a ten-bed unused maternity facility that will be home for those exhibiting the coronavirus symptoms.
The county boss went on to allay fears that there had been a reported case of the pandemic so far.
“We thank God that the disease has not affected anyone so far, and the suspected case was referred to Nakuru where it’s being dealt with,” said the Governor.
He also outlined a raft of measures among them closure of markets and entertainment joints. Kiptis also ordered the immediate implementation of safety measures for hotels and transport services, saying they should observe strict hygiene conditions and keep records of its clients.
“We have also unveiled a multi-agency response team chaired by myself, county commissioner, top government officials in the county including county commissioner and health staff,” added the governor.
The governor assured the residents that the facility has enough protective gear for the staff working in the isolation centre.
“We have trained the staff handling any patients that may exhibit symptoms as well as medicine to help combat the disease,” assured the county boss.
Kiptis also unveiled a coronavirus monitoring hotline to be used to report any cases and also take queries from the public. The new hotlines are 0793975045/0750684644.
At the same time, he directed county staff to remain at home except for those offering key services such as health, water, fire, enforcement and treasury.
A spot check in Kabarnet town indicated that most businesses had complied with hygiene standards as most of the shops placed water and soap or sanitizers outside their premises.
There was tension in town after it was reported that two cases had been reported in the county, one of a county government staff who was seeking treatment at a private clinic in Kabarnet and another one of a young man who had travelled back from Rwanda last Friday.
The Chief Officer (CO) in charge of Health services Winnie Bore assured the public that one case was of a severe flu and was treated and discharged while the other one was referred to Nakuru where the symptoms ruled out Coronavirus.
The CO has since called on the public to avoid giving false information that may raise unnecessary tension and fear in the public.
By Christopher Kiprop